In order to maintain a close family relationship, you need to be respectful and acknowledge that bonds of blood are also susceptible to the effects of negligence and thoughtless words.
If you do or say something hurtful, or a situation arises that leaves someone disappointed and feeling betrayed, you must take action to heal the hurt. Take action as soon as possible after you do something that might jeopardize the bond you share with your relative. Doing nothing and hoping the problem will go away is no option if you want to restore trust among friends and members of your family.
Basic parts to writing a letter of apology to a family member are:
- Own up to the wrongdoing and acknowledge the fact that you made a mistake.
- Express your remorse and that you get how your action or words negatively affected your relative.
- Explain how you plan to rectify the situation and make it clear this transgression will not be repeated.
- Explain that you value your relative, and ask for forgiveness.
Sorry to Parents [Example Apology Note]
- Dear Parents/Family, I know that I have been a selfish fool. I am so disgusted by my own behaviour over the past 24 hours. When I was born, I can only imagine the amount of joy, love, trust and devotion that I brought forth from within you both. For my entire life you have always been guiding me to stand firm in who I am and to act out of love and faith. I am so sorry, I never meant to hurt you. I love you and respect you both.
Example Letter: Sorry to a Family Member [Sister]
- Dear Bridget, I feel terrible about losing your favourite purse. For one, I should not have taken it without asking your permission, and two, I’m sorry my neglect has resulted in the loss of both your prized item and our relationship. I want to apologize for crossing into your personal space and betraying your trust. I hope you will accept this new purse and gift card — I know it isn’t the same and that nothing can replace that heirloom. I do want to rebuild our relationship and earn back your trust and confidence; in the future, if I want to borrow something, you know I will ask first. I hope you can forgive me for my thoughtlessness. You are the best sister a girl could ever hope for, worth more to me than any item I could ever hope to replace.
Apology Letter to Parents for Stealing [Betrayal]
Dear Mom and Dad, I am ashamed to admit the terrible fact that I stole from the people who love me the most in this world. I regret everything about that day. I have been stressed out since that day and I am not even able to look you in the eye.
You have done your best to give me everything that I could ask for, and yet something still possessed me to steal your cryptocurrency. I am so sorry, please forgive me. I sold it at an all time low, too, when I was trying to make a quick fortune day trading. I was so stupid.
Please forgive me, Mom and Dad. I love you so much, I want to make you proud. Having lost all your savings tears me to pieces and I promise I will never do that again. I will be honest with you from now on, and will pay you back, with interest. I love you dearly and I hope you can forgive me.
Apology Letter to Parents for Lying
Dear Mom and Dad, I need to come clean about last Wednesday. I went to Colorado to see a concert instead of meeting up with you for our annual family vacation. I am so sorry for lying to you. I know that is the one day a year that you book off and yet I couldn’t even miss one concert; I feel terrible. I know how important that annual meet-up is for all of us. Everyone else made sacrifices to make that day a success.
Mom, I am sorry that I put you through this disappointment after all the efforts you’ve made to teach me not to lie. I’m old enough to know better, and I promise that I will not lie to you again. I will help organize the next meet-up, and I will definitely be there. I am so sorry, and I hope you can forgive me.
I love you so much.
Your loving daughter,
Written Apology Template to Parents [For Drugs, Arrest, Poor Behaviour]
Dear [Mom and Dad],
I am so sorry for [my thoughtless or hurtful action]. I am sorry I was the cause of your pain. I know it hurt your feelings to see me [taking the wrong direction and making mistakes]. I want you to know that I appreciate your love, concern, and prayers, and am thankful for all your efforts to see me grow into a responsible person.
I promise I will not [commit such a disrespectful act] again. I love you so much, [mom and dad], and I feel terrible that I hurt your feelings by doing the wrong thing. And worse, I knew it was wrong. Please forgive me.
More: The Necessary Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend
BillieI like to climb mountains, read Nietzsche, and explore the West Coast. I have a BA from York University (2003) in Toronto, Canada, and yet on this site I sometimes spell like an American (know your audience). Thank you. Thank you very much.
Workplace Apology Letter Examples [to a Boss, Co-Worker; Customer Service]
At some point we are all guilty of committing an office faux pas — perhaps one morning you compliment a…