Asking for forgiveness and then living that higher standard is a necessary part of taking responsibility as an adult. Everybody does things they regret at one time or another, and if you value those warm moments together in the early morning and sharing stories you’ve never told another soul, then honour your relationship accordingly and show your girlfriend the highest respect.
Writing a heartfelt letter of apology is not something you should rely on as a get-out-of-jail-free card to excuse your habit of offensive behaviour, however.
These apology letter templates are to help you arrange your thoughts and to take responsibility for the current state of your relationship for forgetting a birthday, or just to say sorry for forgetting to pick up the milk, although that might be a little over the top for such a small oversight.
And occasional mistakes, poorly executed breakups, cheating, ignoring your girlfriend’s needs, are all things worth apologizing for in a letter. A letter may not fix the situation, but it can open up an honest conversation with your girlfriend.
What to Write in An Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend
Ultimately, the best apology is one that you feel.
If you have contributed to emotional hurt, your girlfriend may feel as though she is not important in your life. When you write your apology letter to her, it is your chance to express the beauty she brings into your life. In fact, instead of writing a letter of regret, write about all the things that you love about her and why she brightens up your life.
If you are truly at a loss for what to write, you can start your letter by acknowledging her hurt and validating her feelings.
- If true, tell her how sorry you are and that you want to make things right.
- Always be honest. Let her know how important she is to you.
- Finally, ask her for forgiveness and if there is anything that you can do to prove to her that it won’t happen again.
A simple formula for writing an apology letter to your girlfriend:
- State what happened.
- State how what happened affected your girlfriend, and acknowledge her experience.
- Ask for forgiveness and offer productive solutions you can commit to.
- DO NOT MAKE EXCUSES for what happened.
Examples of What to Say in an Apology Letter to Your Partner After Doing Something You Regret
The anatomy of an apology letter is: say sorry; say why you’re sorry; make amends; ask forgiveness. Do not offer an explanation at any point in the letter. The purpose of your apology in this context is not to defend your behaviour, but to acknowledge how your actions were damaging to your relationship and to take ownership. And to make sure not to repeat such poor judgment.
A good start:
- Not even I have been able to understand why I would do what I did to you. The more I look back and reflect on the good times we had together and the future we had planned for, the more I regretful I get. I cannot take back what I did, and for that I am forever sorry.
- Words can’t convey how despondent I am right now knowing that you have given up on me. The worst part is knowing it is my own fault and I could have changed the outcome. I am so sorry for all the stupid things I have said and done. You are the most amazing girl I have ever met, and the best girlfriend any guy could want. You are truly beautiful inside and out.
- I may be too late. You may already be gone. Or should I say — I may already be gone from my place in your heart.
- Thinking about all of this and how much I hurt the best girlfriend in the world… I can’t stop crying for the pain I put your heart through.
- Deciding to be with me is your heart’s choice. A choice that may not happen overnight, nor may it happen before some other soul finds you and cherishes you as you deserve. I cling to the hope that the heart that I’ve cherished and hurt, truly knows how sorry I am for the pain I have caused.
Apology Examples For Being Deceitful & Lying to Your Girlfriend
- Lying to you about the fact that I purchased that crypto mining equipment with our renovation money was wrong. I am totally responsible for taking that money without your approval and I ask for your forgiveness.
- All I can say is I’m sorry. All I can ask humbly is for forgiveness. Now I that I know what that pain feels like I will never subject anyone to such treatment. I hope you will give me the chance to prove it.
- I promised to hold and cherish your heart like any decent person would. But I did the opposite. I’m sorry.
- There can be no other woman for me. I am so, so, so sorry that I acted as I did. I did not understand then, but I do now. I promise I will never make the same mistake again. I promise to honour and cherish you all the days of our life together.
- I will do everything within my power to make it up to you. I will leave the terms of our reconciliation up to you and do whatever you ask. If only I could have one more chance, I will make it up to you, I will be a better man. I will make you the center of my world, I will make you happy.
- Thank you for attending to this message. I do not deserve your forgiveness for such a terrible statement, but yet, I ask you for it. If you can see fit to forgive a wretch such as I, then I will make a difference. I will be a better man, for I cannot risk losing you again, my dearest love.
How to Start an Apology Letter to Your Girlfriend After a Fight (Hurt Feelings, Regretful Words)
- I remember how you stood by me when I had that fight with my brother. You took my side and supported me all the way. You did not question, you remained true to your word and steadfast in your commitment. I remember when you got out of bed at 3 a.m. to pick me up from the airport when the roads were bad. All of these things, plus so many others prove that I am not worthy of a love as pure as yours.
- I find myself in tears. I was wrong to have confronted you in such a manner, and you were totally in the right for calling me on it. You were not at fault, and never were. It was my stupid ego that spat out such horrid, unthinking and silly things.
- In the heat of passion I said some stupid things to you. It is my fault for pushing you to go to a concert venue that discriminates based on health status. I know it is morally wrong to support such divisive measures that clearly have nothing to do with promoting health and safety, and yet I really wanted to sacrifice it all to see the Offspring perform. I realize how strongly you feel about such things, and I wish to heaven that I did not succumb to propaganda as easily as my balls shrink when I go outside wearing a mask.
- Indeed, I acted as if I were a spoiled baby, demanding to have their favourite blankie. I behaved like a spoiled child, crying and whining because I could not have my way, especially when deep down, I knew I was wrong.
- By now I should have realized it is not my job to test you, train you, or force you to like what I like. It is my job to ensure your happiness, understand and love you for the wonderful person that you are.
- I am hoping beyond hope that you will welcome me into your life once again, where I can reciprocate the kindness you have shown me.
Apology Letter to Girlfriend for Cheating
Taking 100 percent responsibility for the situation you are in, is the first sign of a mature and powerful person. Own it all — don’t make yourself into a victim. Once you own something, you can change it.
- It’s hurting me so much to know that I have messed everything up with you. I’ve ruined our relationship and betrayed your trust. If only there were a reset button I could press.
- There is no easy way to begin this, no easy way to admit that what you are now aware of, is in fact, real. Looking back, it seems impossible that I could have been guilty of such a travesty, such a horrible act. However, it happened. I was not loyal. I cheated on you with another woman, when in reality I was in love with you. I am left with your pain, your sadness and your feeling of emptiness at my betrayal.
- When we first met, it was I who promised you lifelong love and devotion, yet I took that promise and shattered it into a million pieces. You have a right to feel the way that you do. You are completely in the right to see me as a cowardly piece of filth, a waste of space, and you would be right. I am nothing more than a wet rag soaked in despair for what I have done to you.
- If the tables were turned, I’d be a mad man. I’d be filled with anger and hate, so I can only imagine the anger and pain you are going through as you re-order the broken faith and trust you had in me to always do the right thing. I force myself to see the situation through your eyes. I am ashamed. Ashamed to have ruined myself with such a woman — yet it was not her fault, it was mine. The entire situation was my mistake, I claim it and own it, and disown it.
- This ‘fling’ happened in an instant and without any forethought. My love, know that I am doing everything in my power to ensure that this will never happen again. When you stormed out of the apartment, I immediately went to the internet and signed up for a counseling session, as my proof to you that I am working on bettering myself so that I will never put myself in a situation like that again. Please know that I am in love with you, that I want only you.
- If the tables were turned, I’d be a mad man, filled with anger, so I can only imagine the anger and pain you are going through as you had put your faith and trust in me to always do the right thing. Living these past few days without you in my life has torn my soul to shreds. I am a man without a home, a man without love, a man without you. And it is all because of me.
- I do not deserve your forgiveness, yet I crawl on hands and knees begging for it, wanting you back in my life. I’ve learned a terrible lesson, one that shall never be repeated. Please consider me again. I love you and my life is now in your hands.
Apology Letter for Strain in Long-Distance Relationship
I am writing to apologize for the strain that my distance has put on our relationship. I know that being apart has been difficult for both of us and I am deeply sorry for any pain or frustration that I have caused you.
I understand that it can be hard to maintain a long-distance relationship and I want you to know that I am committed to making things work. I promise to do everything in my power to stay connected with you and to make sure that we are always there for each other.
I may not always find the right words to express my love and affection for you, but please know that you are constantly on my mind and in my heart. You are an incredibly special and important person in my life and I am grateful to have you by my side.
I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me and to give me another chance to show you how much you mean to me. I am optimistic that we can work through this and come out even stronger on the other side.
More Apology Letter Examples:
Sorry to Family for Poor Behaviour (Stealing, Lying, Drugs)
Writing a Heartfelt Apology Letter to a Friend
Workplace Apology Letter Examples (Boss, Coworker, Customer)
Get Out of the Dog House:
Classy Ways to Say I Love You With All My Heart
Show Her Love and Appreciation in Words (Make Her Smile)
BillieI like to climb mountains, read Nietzsche, and explore the West Coast. I have a BA from York University (2003) in Toronto, Canada, and yet on this site I sometimes spell like an American (know your audience). Thank you. Thank you very much.
Appreciation Love Messages for Him: Show Him How Much You Care
Love is a beautiful thing, and expressing your love and appreciation to your significant other is crucial in any relationship.…
Funny and Short Dinner Prayers to Add Laughter to Your Family Gatherings
Looking to add some humor to your family dinners? Check out our article on funny and short dinner prayers that…