What better time of year to let your appreciation for your friends and family be known than at Christmastime? Nothing replaces the time we spend sharing life’s both mundane and special moments with people we grow to care about, and while a once a year correspondence doesn’t magically create a lasting relationship, keeping in touch will spark and solidify the bonds of caring between people.
In the name of convenience and supposed progress we have removed the art of handwriting (cursive writing) from the elementary school curriculum. Do we realize what is lost when we stop writing letters, the physical kind, to each other?
The celebration of people and their labours of love persist and thrive in our written letters. Let’s value effort again. Let’s put a piece of ourselves into the things we make.
‘Tis the season to return to soulful gatherings and meaningful living.
What to Write in a Christmas Card
What to Write in a Christmas Card
When writing, a general rule of thumb is to keep your message appropriate to the recipient and to the occasion. The most memorable Christmas card inscriptions are both
- short and sweet, and
- personal and seasonal.
The Year Summary and Reflection
For family and friends, perhaps you want to do the annual “here’s my annual update” printed page enclosed with a generic Christmas card and mailed out to everyone you know with a mailing address. This is a valid option; it is faster, yes, but not as memorable as sending a handwritten, personalized card.
(Of course, if you’re writing your Aunt across the country and she requires paragraphs of life updates, then write accordingly.) Strike a balance between succinct and festive, and you’ll have appropriate Christmas card sentiments for everyone on your list.
Begin and end each inscription with a seasonal greeting (such as “Merry Christmas”). Follow it with a personal message appropriate to your relationship with the recipient, and close with a final festive wish, and your signature.
Most of the sentiments collected below, of which there are many variations, work for general seasonal greetings, too. For example, you can substitute a “Happy Holidays,” “Season’s Greetings,” for a “Happy Hanukkah,” or “Happy Kwanzaa,” depending on the holiday and your audience.
You could opt for a happy compromise between the personal and convenient, and send a form letter plus a short, handwritten personalized note to each recipient.
Make Your Own Card and Make a Christmas Quote the Focal Point
Crafting an uplifting, memorable Christmas message for your cards can be a difficult task. Give yourself the gift of convenience by using one of these inspiring holiday quotes. While you’re here, look for other holiday quotes you love to include in your messages for all your holiday cards:
- “Out of the silence, music. Out of the darkness, light. Out of uncertainty, Promise. Hope was born that night.”
- “At Christmas play and make good cheer, for Christmas comes but once a year.”
- “Peace on earth will come to stay, when we live Christmas every day.”
- “The story of Christmas is a story of love.”
- “It’s not what’s under the Christmas tree, it’s who’s gathered around it.”
- “May you be inspired by giving, changed by love, filled with peace and touched by miracles.”
- “The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.”
- “One of the nice things about Christmas is that you can make people forget the past with a present.”
- “Christmas is a time when everybody wants his past forgotten and his present remembered.”
- “At Christmas, all roads lead home.”
Or Let a Catchy Line from a Famous Christmas Song Be Your Homemade Card’s Inspiration:
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and let your heart be light!
- Joy to the world, the Lord has come. May songs of joy fill your home and your heart this holiday season.
- It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Hope yours is filled with peace and joy.
- Deck the halls with boughs of holly and have a jolly Christmas time!
- Feliz Navidad! Wishing you a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart.
- Hark! The herald angels sing glory to the New Born King!
- Have a holly, jolly Christmas! It’s the best time of the year.
- It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Merry Christmas and remember to be of good cheer!
- Fill your hearts with Christmas cheer! Santa Claus is coming tonight!
- Star of wonder, star of night, guide us to thy perfect light.
Merry Christmas Card Messages
There’s something wonderful about the classic “Merry Christmas” greeting. If you want to call out Christmas, here are are some sample card messages with the word “Christmas” (That’s right, “Christmas” is not a bad word! Enjoy the celebration of togetherness and sharing!).
- May your days be merry & bright this Christmas season and throughout the New Year.
- Best wishes for a joyous Christmas and a New Year filled with love, happiness and prosperity.
- We hope you’re having a simply wonderful Christmastime! Best wishes to you and yours.
- Merry Christmas! May all the joys of this happy season be yours this holiday season and into the New Year.
- May the magic and wonder of Christmas stay with you throughout the New Year.
- The most wonderful part of Christmas is spending time with family and friends. May your holidays be full of joy and good cheer.
- When the magic of Christmas fills the air, we hope you find it everywhere. Merry Christmas!
- Wishing you a blessed Christmas and every happiness in the New Year.
- May the true spirit of Christmas fill your heart and your home with joy today and into the coming year.
- Have a warm and cozy Christmas and a New Year filled with wonderful adventures.
Religious Christmas Messages
Adding a religious note to your Christmas cards helps us remember the true reason for this joyous season — Food! Kidding. Here are some examples of religious messages you can include in your card.
- Wishing you God’s wonderful gifts of faith, hope, peace and love at Christmas and always.
- As we take a moment from our busy lives to celebrate the birth of our Lord, we pray your holidays are filled with love and your New Year is filled with peace.
- His miraculous birth and the gift of His love give us reason to pause and rejoice in His special day. Merry Christmas from our family to yours.
- Christmas is a wonderful time to everyone to rejoice and share in the warmth of those dear to us. May your Christmas be filled with God’s love and blessings.
- May God’s Love be your true blessing this Christmas season and throughout the New Year.
- Great things come in small packages, just like when our Lord was born.
- Let’s celebrate our most special friend’s birthday! Merry Christmas!
- Christ the savior is born! Merry Christmas!
- Just as Christmas lights bring light to a dark season, Christ brings light to a dark world.
- Jesus is the gift that we all are given this Christmas.
- May God fill your life with Love, Joy & Peace this Holiday Season and throughout the New Year.
- Rejoice for unto us a child is born. Wishing you God’s blessings this Christmas season.
- Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace and good will toward men.
- Rejoice in the miracle of Christmas as your heart fills with the gift of His love.
- May you receive the gift of faith, the blessing of hope, and the peace of God’s love at Christmas and always.
Generic Happy Holidays & Season’s Greetings
If you’re not sure your recipients celebrate Christmas, using holiday and season’s greetings instead is a great option. Here are some ideas you can use to get started writing your own holiday message.
- Wishing you joy, peace and good health this Holiday Season.
- Best Wishes for a Happy Holiday Season and a Joyous New Year.
- May all that is beautiful, meaningful, and brings you joy be yours this Holiday Season and throughout the coming year.
- Sending wishes to you and yours for a beautiful Holiday Season and a peaceful New Year.
- As the holidays approach, it is a great time to remember those who are close to us, helping to bring love and happiness to our lives. Wishing you a happy Holiday Season.
- Our favourite part of the Holiday Season is thinking of you, who makes this time so special. Wishing you love and happiness this season and into the New Year.
- Hope this Holiday Season brings you many great memories and wonderful reasons to smile.
- May the light of the holiday season fill your heart, and may the music fill your soul. Happy holidays.
- Wishing you a sparkling holiday season and a brilliant New Year!
- Sending warm wishes of peace and happiness this Holiday Season and into the New Year.
Short & Simple Holiday Greetings
If you only want to include a few words, consider one of these simple and short holiday greetings. These are especially good options if you plan on writing out your cards by hand this year.
- Happy holidays from our house to yours.
- Wishing you the happiest holidays and a wonderful New Year in 2022!
- We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
- Have a jolly holiday.
- From our home to yours, we hope you have a happy holiday season and a prosperous New Year!
- Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season and all the best for the New Year!
- Wishing you love, light, and laughter for Christmas and the New Year too!
- May your days be merry and bright. Happy holidays from all of us!
- May your heart be filled with all the joys of the season.
- Season’s greetings, from our house to yours!
- Sending you peace, love, and joy this holiday season.
- Spreading holiday love this festive season!
- Happy holidays from our family to yours.
- Wishing you the best this season and always! Happy holidays.
- Warm wishes for a happy holiday.
- Happy everything this holiday season.
- Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
- Merry everything & happy always.
- Hoping your holidays are filled with love, family and happiness.
- Happy 2022! Make it the best year ever.
- Best wishes for a New Year filled with love, happiness and success.
- Hope you get everything you want under the Christmas tree this year!
- Merry Christmas and many blessings in the New Year.
- May the wonder and magic of Christmas fill you with delight.
- Wishing you the happiest of holidays and a fantastic New Year.
Holiday Messages For Partners, Friends & Family
When sending holiday wishes to your closest friends, family and loved ones, feel free to get personal. Consider adding a short message about your family, special news and any important announcements you want to share.
- As the holidays once again approach, may the joy and love the holidays bring remind us of the love of our friends and family. Wishing you the very best this season.
- Christmas is all about celebrating the people we care about most…and no one means more to me than special family like you.
- Family is what Christmas is all about. So grateful for you!
- You’re an important part of my life, and I’m so glad we’re family.
- This time of year, I’m especially grateful for family like you.
- You can’t choose your family, but even if you could, I’d still choose you. Merry Christmas! Looking forward to spending some time with you.
- I’m so grateful to have been blessed with the best family on earth! I love you so much.
- Santa couldn’t have gotten me a better family. The best part is this gift just keeps on getting bigger and better.
- I’m so thankful to have been blessed with such a wonderful family with which to celebrate this meaningful time of year.
- At the center of the busyness of this season is love, which is also at the center of our family.
- I love and miss you so much. I hope I’ll be able to come home next year for Christmas to give you a hug in person. This card is the best I can do this year.
- It makes me so happy to think of you this time of year and remember all of our special memories from the past years. I’m grateful for an amazing family.
- As I grow up, the meaning of Christmas continues to deepen as I keep discovering the true nature of love, joy, and peace, not only at this time of year but all year round. Thank you for being a family that continues to teach me what these are.
- I hold a special place in my heart for my family, the greatest gift of all.
- God has blessed me with such a fantastic family! You are so special to me and I can’t wait to spend time with you soon.
- We’re going to have so much fun this Christmas! I can’t wait to cook up a storm and then feast like there’s no tomorrow!
- I will always love and cherish you even when I’m annoyed by something you say.
- Your support over the last year has meant the world to me. Thank you for showing me the true meaning of family.
- I got lucky with the kindest, sweetest, most fun family anyone could have asked for. You are all so special and unique. I wouldn’t trade you for anything in the world.
- I love you so much and hope your holiday season is filled with joy and happiness (and maybe some relaxation, too)!
- Our family is so lucky to have you in it. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
- Thinking of you fills our hearts with joy at Christmas time. Wishing you a joyous Holiday Season and a happy and peaceful New Year.
- Wishing you and your family all the warmth this Holiday Season has to offer. Have a wonderful Christmas and a New Year filled with peace and joy.
- As the holidays once more approach, our family would like to send you our warmest wishes. May the true spirit of the season find you and fill your heart with joy.
- From all the gifts under the Christmas tree, the best gift is your friendship. Have a Merry Christmas, my friend.
- May the wonder of the holidays fill your heart with happiness as you gather together with family and friends. Merry Christmas.
- Thinking of you with warm wishes for a very Merry Christmas spent among family and friends.
- Dear friend, I hope your Christmas is filled with love and your New Year with joy.
- There is nothing more special than family and good friends to brighten up the holidays. Merry Christmas.
- Wishing you happy holidays and a New Year filled with happiness. May the holiday spirit be with you and your family today and throughout the coming year.
Funny Holiday Greetings
A little bit of humour never fails, especially during the stressful holiday season. Make everyone who opens your Christmas cards this year smile with these fun and amusing holiday card messages. Or include your favourite holiday puns, witty quote or funny greeting.
- Wishing you hope, peace and lots of Christmas cookies.
- You know you’re getting old, when Santa starts looking younger.
- Get your fat pants ready. It’s Christmastime!
- Santa has the right idea. Visit people only once a year.
- Merry Christmas from one hard-working elf to another.
- It’s all fun and games, until Santa checks the naughty list. Merry Christmas.
- The NSA has tapped everyone’s phone this Christmas including Santa Claus himself, and it turns out Jesus is the only one who isn’t on the naughty list.
- Just think how bright Jesus’ birthday cake would be if he had a candle for each year since his birth. Good thing he recently switched to LED candles.
- There are at least three people wishing you a Merry Christmas. There’s Jesus, Santa, and ME!
- There’s usually only one person I can remember to buy a birthday card for each year. His name is Jesus.
- I don’t usually write Christmas cards, but when I do, I usually write the same thing in all of them.
- I’m writing a unique and personal message in each of my Christmas cards this year. So for you, I’d like to say: ‘Whomever you are, Merry Christmas to my friend/family person who is really special.’
- The best thing about Christmas is the day after Christmas, when you still have almost a year until you have to see your annoying extended family members again.
- If I had to choose between you and Santa, I’d choose you. I still think it’s a little creepy that that guy comes in my house while I’m sleeping.
- All I want for Christmas is for you to have a crazy cool Christmas!
- When people ask me to prove that Santa is real, I ask them to prove to me that he isn’t.
- I would write something funny to wish you a Merry Christmas, but there are some things that you just don’t joke about.
- I hope your December 25th is splendid this year. If you have an awful day on December 27th, that’s all right; it’s really just the 25th I care about.
- Wishing you a white Christmas. (And when you run out of white, just open a bottle of red).
- Sure, being on the Nice list gets your more presents, but being Naughty is its own reward.
- Only a few more shopping days left until your loved ones find out you have no idea what they like.
- We want you to have the happiest holidays ever. (Don’t feel too special though, we gave this card to a lot of people).
For Those Facing Difficult Circumstances
Writing tip: If you’re sending the same card to everyone on your list, consider whether it feels right for the person or family you know who are facing a difficult time. If the card doesn’t quite seem right, then you may wish to choose a different card for them — something with a warmer colour and design, with more of a focus on peace and hope and strength, as opposed to the usual “Happy Holidays” or “Merry Christmas” wishes.
Christmas is for appreciating each other and engaging in joyful gatherings. And because it is such a social time of remembering friends and family, Christmas can remind some of us of our loved ones that have passed on or families that are separated by distance or circumstance.
Christmastime can also come with mixed emotions for someone facing illness, job loss, bereavement or other challenging circumstances. Here are some ideas for letting them know you’re thinking warmly of them during what might be an especially difficult time of year:
- “I know this probably won’t go down as your best Christmas ever. I hope it helps a little to be reminded how much I care about you and wish you a brighter new year.”
- “You’ve had more than your share of challenges this year. Wishing you peace and hope at Christmas and a new year full of better days.”
- “I hope the holidays are extra gentle and sweet to you and give you lots of reasons to smile and lots of time to rest.”
- “Hoping that the new year brings you new possibilities.”
- “Our hearts are with you and your family. All our love,”
- “It’s hard when Christmas comes during a difficult time. Just want you to know I’m thinking of you.”
- “Sending you hugs this Christmas. Take good care of you.”
- “Sometimes the holidays only seem to remind us of what we have lost. But you will never lose the love and caring of those who know you and want the best for you.”
For Work & Professional Relationships
Let your relationship guide you when signing a Christmas card for someone you know in a professional context. If it’s a colleague you know well, you can be as casual in your message as you would with non-work friends. For a supervisor, client or someone with whom you have a relationship that’s more strictly about work and less personal, then keep your message more formal. Here are some ideas:
- “Happy Holidays and all the best to you in the year to come!”
- “It’s a pleasure to work with you and a joy to wish you a merry Christmas!”
- “The holidays are a perfect time to remind you how much I appreciate your business. I hope you enjoy a wonderful season filled with the people and traditions that mean the most.”
- “You make work a lot less like work and more like a caring community. Merry Christmas, with thanks for all you do!”
- “Holiday time and all the time, I so appreciate the great work you do.”
- “Wishing you some well-deserved downtime over the holidays. You’ve earned it!”
- “Merry Christmas to my totally talented stylist! Thank you for keeping me looking good all year.”
- “Wishing you the beauty, blessings and joy this season brings.”
- “Hoping that the new year brings you new opportunities and new possibilities.”
- “Warmest wishes for a happy holiday season,”
Writing tip: Refrain from mentioning work-related things in the card, beyond congratulating them on a job well done. They will appreciate your gratitude expressed for the working relationship you share, but who wants to think about work over the holidays?
A Business Holiday Thank-You Note
Writing your holiday cards for clients, business partners, volunteers, mentors, sponsors, teachers and others sometimes requires a sincere thank you. Use these ideas and sample card messages as a springboard for choosing how to express your gratitude at the end of the year.
- Warmest wishes this holiday season.
- It’s a pleasure to work with you all year long, and it’s my joy to wish you a Merry Christmas.
- I hope the holidays bring you peace, goodwill, and happiness this year.
- The Christmas season is a good time to remind you how much I appreciate your business and continued support.
- I hope your holidays are filled with joy and laughter.
- Sending season’s greetings and glad tidings to you and yours.
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
- As the Holiday Season approaches, there is no better time to say “Thank You” for all your hard work this year. Wishing you and yours a happy Holiday Season and a prosperous New Year.
- We would like to pause at the Holiday Season to say “Thank You” for your goodwill and dedication, and wish you a happy and successful New Year.
- Thank You, and wishing you happy holidays, from our family to yours.
- I’m so thankful for you and your support this year. Have a wonderful Christmas and a happy New Year!
- Your help this year was the best Christmas gift. We can’t thank you enough! Wishing you happy holidays and the best in the coming year.
- Thank you for always thinking of us. We are so grateful for you and your thoughtfulness.
- Just sending you a heartfelt Thank You for your help and support this year. It means so much to us! Have a wonderful holiday season.
- One of the best parts of our business is people like you. Your support means the world to us! We wish you the best this holiday season and throughout the coming year.
- Thank you for making our holidays even brighter with your thoughtful gift. It’s always such a pleasure doing business with you. Here’s to a great year ahead!
- Wishing you happy holidays with thanks and appreciation for your help, support, generosity and thoughtfulness and a sincere wish for a fantastic year ahead.
If you happen to be sending out your cards later than you plan, consider including New Year’s greetings instead of the typical holiday messages.
BillieI like to climb mountains, read Nietzsche, and explore the West Coast. I have a BA from York University (2003) in Toronto, Canada, and yet on this site I sometimes spell like an American (know your audience). Thank you. Thank you very much.
74 Funny One-Liners: How to Say Thank You in a Funny Way
Short and sweet thank you one-liners for sarcastic yet friendly appreciation.
Sending Love: Ideas for What to Write in a Wedding Card
Wedding cards are a wonderful way to congratulate the newlyweds and offer them your best wishes. However, finding the right…